Friday, December 20, 2013

Easy Magnetic Canvas Board for "Paper" Dolls

One of my young nieces loves playing with her dolls but is always leaving her play area a disaster. Typical right?! Well, I kept thinking how neat would it be to make a magnetic board scene for dolls with accessories for her to play with. After months of procrastinating I finally made it a reality and she loved it! So did her older sister. =)



Here's what I did:

I had an old stretched canvas laying around that I thought would create the perfect magnetic doll board. By using the canvas instead of just painting on the wall, it's portable and once she outgrows it she can give it to a cousin or someone else to enjoy.


This is the magnetic paint I used. I purchased it with a coupon at Michael's Craft stores. Most all magnetic paints will work and most of these paints can be painted over with another color.



 It took 3 coats of the paint to get my magnets to stick to it well. Definitely test out your magnets each time you paint a coat of the Magnetic Paint. Be sure to wait long enough between each coat. Follow the instructions on the can. I used a roller but you could put the paint on with a foam brush.



I wanted the backdrop to be pretty simple so the magnetic paper dolls could be the star. I just used cheap acrylic paints to paint the scene.


Once I had it all done I put on the magnetic dolls and all of the accessories. I found these adorable dolls on Etsy. I'm not sure if she still has the same dolls but last I checked she had similar. All of her dolls are cloth glued to magnets and very reasonably priced.




I attached it at her height in her bedroom with Command strips. I love those things! Best invention ever. It can be easily moved but stays put while the girls are playing. 

It's super easy to make and I know they will have hours and hours of fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment